Wednesday, November 24, 2004

News from Eldoret!

I'm having some challenges uploading photos. See if this link works.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26531761@N00/

Lori
Contrary to several of my teammates, I didn’t’ have jet lag and adjusted quickly to the time change. Of course, to keep harmony on the team, I’ve commiserated with them. Ha.

The Kenyan people are so gracious and have welcomed us with open hearts… One of my most vivid and heartbreaking meetings was with a 23 yr old woman at Kipkaren. She had lost her husband one month earlier and was now raising two children ages 6&8. Of course, in my heart I wondered what he died of and what her possible fate may be. You see, AIDS is not talked about openly. As we talked, tears filled our eyes and we said so long. Please pray for Riule.

Pat
The African Adventure continues… we have brought NCBC greetings to the people at ELI. The heart of the ministry here is Jesus in the flesh, education and practical skills for organic edating and self sufficient farming, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ while growing disciples for Jesus.
I was so humbled last night hearing from nearly 30 ministry leaders and parents their love of the Lord. The first words out of their mouths were Praise God I love the Lord Jesus.

Knowing that their situations are more lacking than mine, I asked myself the question when are these the first words out of my mouth? Hmm

Each are longing to learn what god has for them through us. This is truly humbling and I am excited to see what God will do.

God has marvelous things here. Ask me aobut Micha when I get back. Thanks for your words of encouragement and prayers. Africa is beautiful, the Kenyans are so gracious and hospitable.

Danette Brooks

Let’s Giddy Up Kids.
Today is our first official day with the children. Adéle and I were able to visit the children’s homes and their dorm parents early yesterday morning. What an absolute blessing to see the children of Africa. Huge Blessing. There are about 56 boys and girls here in Eldoret at the orphanage. Early this am we transferred a little one (Winsom) to hospital as they believe she has Malaria. Adéle and I held here close during the 20 minute commute to the city. She snuggled close beneath my arm as Adéle stroked her little hand. Painting her nails was a must you know. Enroute no less as we traveled over a very very very dirt road. Pray for Winsom and complete healing from Jesus.

Worship in Africa is more than singing a few hymns. It is an adventure, journey into the Holy of Holy’s. What a blessing it is to worship with the brothers and sisters of Africa.

Funnies: Shower out of a bucket. Sheep entering our grass roof hut during my quiet time. Wow. Totally freaked me out. No kidding. I screamed and Adéle jumped from the bed wondering what was happening. Don’t’ smell the food before you put it in your mouth. I have not eaten one Luna (power) bar since my arrival. This is HUGE. No joke. The skirt thing isn’t really that bad. The toilet thing is really bad. Ask me about this when I am back home. Roosters outside of our hut at 3:30am.

Health: We are doing well, now. Adéle was under the weather with stomach pains and vomiting yesterday. She is well now and back to her crazy self. Jet lag is a bear. Each of us experienced this somewhat, however, it is getting better. I am well, thank you for your prayers. No signs of anything. Praise God.

Thank you for your prayers, letters of encouragement, thoughts and support. We have been praying for you all also.

PS: Amy G. the bracelets are a huge hit. What are the chances of you and the gals making about 65 little (kids sizes) bracelets for the kids here? They are really fascinated with them and it would be something for them to remember us by.

Adéle
Sights and Sounds of Kenya:
Flying over the Great Rift Valley. Seeing people harvest corn by hand and building little corn mounds for it to dry. The smell of fires from huts. Getting hot water for showers and then having to take a bucket bath. (Hey, Team Mozambique—it’s better than cold showers for 2 weeks!) Flushing toilets by pouring water into the bowl…

One of my favorite mental pictures are of when we arrived at Illula Training Center and the orphans gathered to sing for us. They had purchased long-stem roses from a neighboring rose farm, and as they were singing, the kids brought up flowers for each of us… Wow! Then they continued to sing their hearts out while the rain was coming down in droves. It’s NOT rainy season now, but we’ve had rain almost every evening.

Many of the pastors who have come for the leadership training have walked or cycled for up to 50 miles! Can you imagine? As we left the center this morning to come and update the blog, I saw the bicycles lined up against the fence, the wheels caked with mud.

We’re all doing well. Pat and Lori are doing training this morning, and as soon as we’re back at the center, Danette and I are starting with kids’ activities. It’s PURE JOY getting to know the people—both the kids, the visiting pastors, the ELI staff… They have hearts of gold and our lives have already been touched through the short time of interaction. Oh, that many of you may experience life here. It’s SO simple. So pure. Just Jesus.

1 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures! It's great to hear how things are going. I am praying for your trip every day. Adele, I loved your description of the ELI ... "so simple, so pure, so Jesus."

In case anybody else is trying to find a Web site for ELI (it took me a while) I believe that it is at http://www.empoweringlives.org.

Thanks for the blog - it's a great way to keep us all updated!

Chris Leonard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home